Richard strikes in Pat’s white collar boxing night

Mark Westley Photography'Granary Barns White Collar Boxing Night.'Shaun Barnfather v Toby Ball ANL-141215-165018009
Mark Westley Photography'Granary Barns White Collar Boxing Night.'Shaun Barnfather v Toby Ball ANL-141215-165018009

Richard Strike demonstrated what he is capable of in the boxing ring after producing a hard-hitting performance to defeat Matthew Martin.

After tasting defeat on his previous outing, the 27 year old banished those memories with a victory on Saturday during the latest white collar fight night promoted by Pat McAleese at the Granary Barns in Wood Ditton.

The Newmarket based fighter signalled his intent from the outset as he unleashed an opening wave of punches that saw his opponent hit the canvas late on in the first round.

Not relenting Strike continued to pour on the pressure as Martin somehow withstood the punishment right until the sound of the final bell.

“My game plan was to come out quite strong and keep going forward and I thought it worked well,” said Strike.

“I was surprised he got back up at the end of the first round and had the bell not gone I would have put him down again.

“This was the perfect performance to get my confidence back up.”

It was a case of blink and you miss it as far as white collar debutant Grace Jackson was concerned with her bout against Emma Jane stopped a minute five seconds into the opening round.

“I was not expecting that at all and it felt brilliant. Pat said not to be nervous and to just focus and he was right,” said Jackson.

“I’ve been in and out of trouble but since doing this it has helped control my anger and I definitely want to do it again.”

After Andy Cosnett, in his 420th fight, made sure that the evening started on a winning note for the home town team, TJ Rowland ensured that the seven-bout contest ended in the same manner, with the Newmarket RFC 
flanker, seeing off Marcus White.

“I managed to control myself well and not get too excited. I really enjoyed it,” said Rowland.

“Although he caught me a couple of times I hit him with some good body shots and I was throwing my left jab well and was following it up.”

It was clear who the majority of the audience were there to see on the night that of Pete Smith, owner of Newmarket shoe repair shop Busy Bee, with him greeted by a deafening reception.

The 49 year old did not disappoint his large following by defeating Danny Salter, along with raising over £3,000 in the process for children’s charity Make A Wish, from donations collected in the shop and from an auction held on the night.

“I managed to get through the three rounds and that was my main concern,” said 

“The good thing is that we have raised lots of money thanks to the generosity of my customers and those here tonight. If that can make three little faces happy then that is fantastic.”

What Shaun Barnfather lacked in height he more than made up for in work rate and effort. Despite being nearly a foot shorter than his opponent Toby Ball, the diminutive fighter showed a willing attitude to out do his Cambridge rival.

“It felt good for my first fight and I thought I did alright,” said Barnfather.

“The plan was to work his body but when I heard my corner shout on the odd occasion to go over the top I went for it. I always thought I held the advantage.”

The only home squad boxer not to see their hand raised aloft as a winner by referee Taz Taylor was Jake Batchelor who saw his bout with Simon Waters end in a draw.