Newmarket slip away to Wisbech

editorial image



Wisbech 26

Newmarket 8

Newmarket will be hoping for better luck when taking on Wisbech in the third round of the RFU Junior Vase next month after the dress rehearsal failed to go to plan on Saturday.

Despite a good early spell of possession with the ball Newmarket were again guilty of gifting the opposition a head start and one that the hosts would not relinquish.

In a five minute spell two missed tackles and two well taken tries saw Newmarket 14-0 down inside 10 minutes.

After the early set back the game settled down and Newmarket were able to put the shock aside and stabilise, eventually gaining the upper hand in the scrum.

However they were unable to convert the possession into anything meaningful as the breakdown was fiercely contested all afternoon and quick ball was hard to come by.

Newmarket were forced into an early substitution when Max Bell came on for the flu ridden Ben Cockerton.

He had an immediate impact by darting through a gap to set up a ruck from which Liam Cocks slotted a neat grubber kick through for Alasdair Davey to cap his final appearance before he returns to Australia with a well taken try in the corner.

Newmarket’s tails were up and they sustained a ten minute period of pressure prior to half time but despite a yellow card for Wisbech and numerous penalties they were unable to breakdown the strong and determined home defence and a simple three point penalty from Sam Rodman on the stroke of half time was all they had to show for it.

‎Once again Newmarket had more than enough possession in the early part of the second half but they were again unable to retain it through enough phases to create chances, poor personal skills and good disrupting from Wisbech combining to keep the visitors at bay.

A nasty looking injury to Ali Walker disrupted any flow Newmarket had and shortly afterwards a miscommunication in the backs left the ball loose in midfield and it was scooped up by the Wisbech centre who sprinted away to score. This was compounded five minutes later as Wisbech rounded off a good afternoon with their fourth and bonus point try to seal a 26-8 victory.