Newmarket are pegged back as unbeaten home record ends



TOUCHING DOWN: Owen Wilson goes over the line to score a try for Newmarket.

TOUCHING DOWN: Owen Wilson goes over the line to score a try for Newmarket.


Newmarket 25

Wymondham 34

Newmarket’s unbeaten home record was ending by high-flying Wymondham, who racked up their 11th consecutive league victory.

First blood went to Wymondham when Stephen Simms, who had an excellent afternoon with the boot, made no mistake with an early penalty to put his side three points to the good.

After a period of rather aimless kicking from both sides, Wymondham were awarded a scrum in the home half.

Josh Wright picked the ball from the scrum and carved through two tacklers before passing to open side flanker Andy Mackay, who with quick hands released his blind side colleague Henry Petch to secure the try, which was duly converted by Simms.

Wymondham added to their advantage when Wright drove through four defenders and over the line to score. Simms again added the extras to make the score 17-0 to Wymondham.

Although Wymondham had made the most of their chances, Newmarket always looked dangerous and half an hour in, after a period of tight play, Owen Wilson picked the ball from a ruck and crashed over the line to score, with Mike Reeves successfully adding the conversion.

Shortly after, Newmarket’s hopes rose even further when Richard Harper added another try for the Scaltback-based side, which again was successfully converted by Reeves.

Things became doubly bad for Wymondham when prop Chris Miller was shown a yellow card for handling in the ruck.

From the resultant penalty, Newmarket capitalised on their one-man advantage by setting up a rolling maul from their kick, with Lewis Smith going over the Wymondham line to take the lead for the first time.

Reeves’ conversion attempt hit the upright and bounced the wrong side of the crossbar to leave the home side 19-17 ahead at the break.

Newmarket increased their lead to five points 10 minutes into the second half with Reeves slotting over a penalty.

However, Newmarket’s lead was short lived as Wymondham upped their game to bag a try through Dane Cunning on the hour-mark, to which Simms added the extra points.

Newmarket hopes were briefly raised when Reeves slotted over another penalty, but those faint hopes were soon dashed as both Lewis Smith and Simon Guenigault were sent to the sin bin for separate infringements.

After Simms added another penalty to Wymondham’s tally, the visitors wrapped up the win thanks to prop Canning who drove home his second try of the afternoon.

Simms’ kicking skills were used to good effect once again after booting home the additional points to hand the Norfolk side the nine-point victory.