Ross Paterson runs with the ball for Newmarket Town ANL-140331-170130002
Ross Paterson runs with the ball for Newmarket Town ANL-140331-170130002



Newmarket Town 3

Diss Town 0

Newmarket Town manager Kevin Grainger has challenged his side to maintain their current form following a third successive win.

Against a depleted Diss Town outfit the rampant Robins showed no mercy to their opponents as an early double from leading scorer Ross Paterson was added to by substitute Jack Higgs to stretch Newmarket’s unbeaten to seven league games.

And with a trip to high flying Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday (3pm) as well as a Red Insure Cup final against Felixstowe and Walton United to look forward to at the end of the campaign, Grainger is keen to maintain momentum.

“The focus is to keep the momentum and level of performance up because we have a tough run coming up and we need to keep this level up,” he said.

“If we don’t we’re in danger of getting beaten heavily which will have a massive affect ahead of the cup final.

“The players know what I expect from them and if not I will find players who do.”

After a slow start, the home side broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute as a corner from the right hand side found Paterson unmarked to bundle the ball home.

The home side’s swift attack caused the Tangerines issues throughout the afternoon, and so it proved just two minutes after the opener as Newmarket doubled their advantage.

The lively Deakin Napier did brilliantly to beat Dan Easlea, before firing a low cross across the goalmouth to Paterson at the back post who had the simplest of tasks of tapping the ball in.

That appeared to galvanise the visitors who came close to reducing the deficit as Sam Pledger skipped past Adam Dalby on the left hand side but could only fire a low stinging effort wide of far upright.

At the other end Sean Hefferon spurned a golden opportunity to further increase Newmarket’s lead moments before the interval.

Again the chance came from the home side’s right hand side as Dalby picked out the centre-half but, despite having time and space, he could only fire his effort over the bar.

Although fortunate not to fall further behind, Diss were unlucky not to pull a goal back in added time at the end of the half as Adam Burroughs brought the best out of Niall Conroy, who did brilliantly to push the striker’s curling 25-yard free-kick around the post.

Diss started the second half with renewed vigour and created the first real opportunity three minutes after the re-start but, Kieron Patel could only volley over after being picked out brilliantly by Charlie Webb.

At the other end, Napier again caused havoc as his blistering pace got him to the byeline before picking out Richard Chadwick who should have scored but could only head back across goal and wide of the right upright.

The momentum continued with the home side who called Riches into action twice in a five minute period with two superb saves, firstly tipping Scott Paterson’s stinging low strike around the post after 73 minutes before somehow getting a hand to Lee Clift’s close range stabbed effort.

With Diss visibly tiring, Newmarket refused to rest on their laurels and continued to pour forward in the final five minutes.

And after Clift rattled the crossbar following a sensational solo run, their endevour was rewarded in added time as substitute Higgs slotted past Riches to wrap up a comfortable afternoon’s work for the Robins.

Newmarket: Conroy, Dalby, Betson, McGeorge (Maskell 77), Hefferon, Webster (Lambert 65), Napier, S Paterson, Chadwick (Higgs 73), R Paterson, Clift