Soham’s unbeaten run is ended with 3-0 defeat at the Jammers

AWAY DEFEAT: Simon Swinton was in action for Soham Town Rangers during their 3-0 Ryman League Division One North defeat at Maldon and Tiptree
AWAY DEFEAT: Simon Swinton was in action for Soham Town Rangers during their 3-0 Ryman League Division One North defeat at Maldon and Tiptree
Share this article



Maldon and Tiptree 3

Soham Town Rangers 0

Soham Town Rangers slipped to a first defeat in five games, losing 3-0 against Maldon and Tiptree although the final score could have been larger.

With Jordan Gent, Ross Paterson and Ben Sawyer all unavailable, the Greens made two changes from the side which drawn 1-1 at home to Phoenix Sports the previous weekend.

Salim Relizani returned from Histon and went straight into the starting line-up, along with James McCabe who had started on the bench in Soham’s last outing.

The strong winds during this game made conditions difficult for the two sides, although it was the visitors who made the better start, as Relizani fired over before Ryan Sharman and Simon Swinton both placed narrowly wide from distance.

It was however the Jammers that opened the scoring in the 16th minute with their first effort at goal.

Debutant Charley Edge received the ball outside the area, with his shot deflecting up over George Lawton and leaving the Soham goalkeeper with no chance.

The goal lifted Maldon as they began to have the better of the play, and moments after taking the lead Darren McQueen curled a shot wide of the far post, before Lawton had to make a couple of saves to deny both Rhys Henry and David Segura.

Soham did have a couple of opportunities to level just after the half hour mark, however Sharman and then George Darling fired straight at Shaun Phillips in the Maldon goal.

Despite those chances it was the hosts who continued to create the attacks, with Gavin Greenfield heading wide from a corner, and Lawton being called into action again to push away Edge’s shot from outside the area.

The game continued in the same manner after the break, with Lawton making another save in the opening minutes of the second-half to keep out McQueen’s effort at goal.

Maldon doubled their advantage in the 61st minute when Edge ran onto Phillips’ kick upfield, and managed to get past David Theobald and rounded Lawton and placed the ball into an empty net.

Minutes later the striker was denied his hat-trick by the bar, before the hosts added a third in the 76th minute.

Maldon broke from a Soham corner and McQueen got behind Josh Townshend and Lawton to slot into the corner.

Despite being 3-0 up Maldon continued to push forward with Lawton remaining busy, denying both McQueen and Nnamdi Nwachuku.

As the game moved into stoppage time Soham had a couple of chances to score a consolation, but Swinton and Sharman fired wide.

Soham Town Rangers G Lawton, Townshend, Ofori-Gyasi, W Lawton, Theobald, Swinton, McCabe (Russell 64), Bexfield, Relizani (Baker 76), Darling, Sharman. Sub: Nightingale.

Attendance 94.