Soham leave it late in dramatic draw with Thamesmead Town

LATE LEVELLER: Ross Paterson (left) struck deep into injury time to snatch a point for Soham Town Rangers in a 2-2 draw with Thamesmead Town on Saturday
LATE LEVELLER: Ross Paterson (left) struck deep into injury time to snatch a point for Soham Town Rangers in a 2-2 draw with Thamesmead Town on Saturday


Soham Town Rangers 2

Thamesmead Town 2

Soham Town Rangers scored twice in the closing minutes to overturn a two-goal half-time deficit and snatch a share of the spoils on Saturday.

Having come from behind to draw with in-form Cheshunt a week previously, the Greens made just the one change to the starting line up as Simon Swinton returned from injury to replace the unavailable Marcus Hall, with Salim Relizani serving the last of his three game suspension.

It was Thamesmead who broke the deadlock midway through the first half when Vines headed Porter’s left sided ball against the Soham bar, with Theo Fairweather-Johnson following up to score from close range.

The visitors could have doubled their advantage when Vines collected a long diagonal ball, taking it into the area to go one on one with Lawton, with the keeper deflecting the angled shot behind for a corner.

On the half hour, Vines managed to get goal side of Townshend to play the ball along the edge of the area to Fairweather-Johnson, who was brought down by Lawton after he came off his line.

Richard Butler took responsibility, converting the spot kick, sending Lawton the wrong way.

Soham made a host of changes towards the end of the half and at the interval, introducing George Darling and Callum Russell. The hosts started the second-half quickly with Sharman turning to fire over from a Chadwick corner, while Chadwick and Russell also shot straight at Walker.

The custodian was again in action shortly after, making a one handed save to keep out Paterson’s angled shot, before parrying Chadwick’s long range strike all before the hour mark.

Having withheld Soham during the half, Thamesmead’s only real effort after the break came with 10 minutes remaining, however Lawton managed to get down to tip Spillane’s freekick behind.

Russell then shot narrowly wide before Soham pulled a goal back with only two minutes remaining.

Substitute Russell collected Chadwick’s ball out to the right, delivering it into the middle of a crowded penalty area where Will Lawton headed home his first goal for the club.

But this was far from a consolation with the Greens levelling the score in the fourth minute of five added on.

Following good build up, Townshend sent the ball into the box where Gent had a shot blocked but Ross Paterson followed up to fire in a low shot into the bottom corner to snatch a dramatic point.

n Soham, who sit in 16th place in the table, host high-flying AFC Hornchurch (3rd) on Saturday (3pm).

n Newmarket Town, who are currently on a six-game winless run in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, saw their match with Haverhill Rovers postponed on Saturday due to a frozen pitch.

They are due to travel away to Gorleston on Saturday (3pm).