Newmarket slip to home defeat against high-flying Felixstowe

GREAT SAVE: Newmarket Town goalkeeper Daniel Heath is brought into action during their 3-1 defeat against Felixstowe and Walton United on Saturday
GREAT SAVE: Newmarket Town goalkeeper Daniel Heath is brought into action during their 3-1 defeat against Felixstowe and Walton United on Saturday



Newmarket Town 1 
Felixstowe and Walton
United 3

Jordan Matthews ended a barren run in front of goal on Saturday with a second-half brace to help condemn Newmarket Town to defeat.

While chances for both sides were limited, the Seasiders’ hitman plundered his first two goals of the season either side of a Stuart Ainsley free-kick to give the visitors all three points.

The Jockeys were gifted a golden opportunity to open the scoring inside the first 10 minutes after Rhys Barber was judged to have handled the ball in the area.

Unfortunately for the hosts, Jamie Thurlbourne struck the eighth minute spot kick against the post to keep the scores level.

Although Deakin Napier hit the side netting for Town, and Sam Taylor lofted a shot just over for the visitors, it was not until the 28th minute that the first real attempt on goal materialised.

Callum Bennett’s well placed free-kick was met by the boot of Joshua Kerridge, who forced a fine point-blank reflex save from Dan Heath much to the relief of the hosts.

It was the Jockeys turn to go close next as Thurlbourne, in his attempt to atone for his penalty miss, thundered a goalbound strike from distance in the 31st minute, which drew an equally smart stop from Dan Crump to keep matters all square at the break.

The deadlock was broken just three minutes into the second half as Matthews, having slipped his marker, fired high into the net from a tight angle.

Town almost replied instantly through the returning Richard Chadwick, but after putting a close range effort just wide he found Crump equal to his low shot.

The Jockeys eventually hit back just before the hour mark with Napier picking up Jamie Thurlbourne's cross-field pass before slotting the ball past Crump.

Town looked to have secured a point, that was until Mark Webster caught Kyron Andrews on the edge of the box five minutes from time handing the visitors a free-kick which substitute Ainsley made no mistake with.

Matthews dashed any hopes the Jockeys had of salvaging a draw when beating the offside trap to score with almost the last kick of the game.

“It was a better performance than the one at Thetford, but I thought that the result was an injustice as I thought we were the better side,” said Kevin Grainger, Newmarket Town manager.

“We gave away far too many free-kicks but if we took our chances we could have won the game. I am not disappointed as it was a good performance and on another day we could have won.

“We were certainly as good as them and we were good for a point.”

n On Tuesday, Newmarket climbed back up to seventh after playing out a 0-0 draw against Thetford Town.

The Jockeys entertain Brantham Athletic on Saturday (3pm).

Newmarket Town: Heath, Dalby (c), Goddard, Webster, Thompson, L Thurlbourne, Alfie Ball, J Thurlbourne, Chadwick, Snaith, Napier. Subs: Wayne, Lopes, Fisher.

Journal Man Of The Match - Adam Dalby Despite being in a backline which conceded three goals, the Town captain looked assured on the ball and made some vital challenges and tackles.

Attendance: 58.