FOOTBALL ROUND-UP: Victory for Fordham, but Exning and Newmarket girls are beaten

editorial image

A round-up of some of the week’s football action...




Debden 4

Exning United 2

Exning United fell to their first defeat of the season away at Debden on Saturday.

The home team made no mistake as they capitalized on an early defensive error to go 1-0 up after five minutes, with Exning equalising when James Lane found Paul Jones whose thunderbolt finish made it 1-1.

Debden then took advantage of a second defensive error from the visitors to go in front again, before Lane converted from the spot for the visitors to send the teams in level at the break.

Exning came out for the second-half as the stronger team, but it was Debden who went ahead once more with a long range effort and then wrapped up the points with a fourth goal at the end.




Fordham 4

Linton Granta Reserves 1

Fordham won through to the second round of the Cambs Junior Challenge Cup by defeating Linton Granta Reserves 4-1 at the weekend.

Tom Thatcher gave Fordham the lead after 25 minutes, with Richard Kent making it 2-0 to the hosts after converting Josh Bailey’s pass.

Linton pulled a goal back but the visitors then responded immediately through Graham Ford to go 3-1 up.

Ford grabbed his second of the match with delightful lob over the goalkeeper to wrap up a 4-1 victory.

n Fordham Reserves tasted defeat in the first round of the John Ablett Cup, with Ben Askew on target in their 2-1 defeat at Wisbech St Mary B.

Youth Football

Newmarket Town Girls Under-13s were beaten on penalties by Bar Hill in the League Cup on Saturday.

Bar Hill opened up an early 2-0 lead, before Eleanor McLeish scored her first goal of the season to bring Newmarket back into the game.

Some fine defending from Lydia Mason and Ellie Desborough helped keep the home side in the tie, with the well-deserved equaliser arriving when Chloe Metcalfe broke from defence and played a through ball to the onrushing Leah Harper who coolly finished to make it 2-2.

The visitors regained their lead in extra-time, but Newmarket’s pressure paid off when Harper delivered the perfect corner for Kaitlin Elsey to head home and send the game to penalties, which Bar Hill won to advance into the next round of the cup.