Fallon not happy with performance

Mark Westley Photography'Soham Town Rangers football action V Aveley.'Luke Stanley. ANL-150126-205327009
Mark Westley Photography'Soham Town Rangers football action V Aveley.'Luke Stanley. ANL-150126-205327009
Share this article



Soham Town Rangers 3

Over Sports 1

Steve Fallon was not impressed by the manner of victory which saw Soham Town Rangers into the last four of the Cambs Invitation Cup.

First half goals from Luke Stanley, Scott Davis and Dan Brown saw the defending champions defeat the Kershaw League Premier Division outfit Over Sports at Julius Martin Lane on Tuesday to move into the semi-finals.

Despite seeing his side avoid a potential upset, Rangers boss Fallon was highly critical of his side’s performance.

“These are difficult games and they raised their game and some of them played well, they closed us down but we switched off,” said Fallon.

“I think we were sloppy at times and fair play to them they gave it a go.

“We got into good positions but our passing and final ball was not good enough.

“We are through though and that is the main thing.”

Slow to start Rangers were close to being undone inside the opening minute.

Victor Torres was robbed of the ball by Chris Friend, who in turn then played in Ross Munro.

Faced with just Lamar Joseph-Johnson to beat the Sports frontman saw his effort kept out with hosts custodian making a fine save.

The visitors were made to pay for not taking their early chance as Rangers scored in their first attack of the game.

Ryan Sharman fed a superb through ball into Rangers leading scorer Luke Stanley who, keeping his composure, rounded Joe Egan before sliding the ball into an empty net.

Rangers, who defeated Aveley 2-1 in the Ryman League Division One North on Saturday, doubled their lead with a fortuitous effort from Davis in the 12th minute.

Finding the ball at his feet the from the edge of the box Rangers midfield whipped the ball in only for it to evade everyone and end up in the net.

Within five minutes Over had reduced the gap between the two sides down to one with Mason Newman’s shot cleared off the line and straight into the path of the unmarked Lewis Males.

After Stanley missed another chance to restore Rangers’ two-goal cushion, Dan Brown was not so wasteful.

Latching on to a punt from goalkeeper Joseph-Johnson, the wide man lashed home a shot past the stranded Egan.

Following a first half full of goals the game meandered out in the second half.

The best of the limited chances fell to the visitors, with Friend hitting a shot against the angle of the bar and post just before the hour mark, while Males in the 62nd minute also found the crossbar, the only thing denying him a second goal.

Rangers will now look to transfer their winning form in the cup back into the league on Saturday when travelling to Romford (3pm).

n In the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division Mildenhall Town, who lost 1-0 at home to Stanway Rovers on Saturday, will take on Walsham-le-Willows (3pm) at home.

Ely City will look to follow up their 2-2 draw at home to Haverhill Rovers at the weekend when visiting Gorleston (3pm).