Residents are being urged to check their dishwashers after fire crews were called to two dishwasher fires yesterday.
The incidents take the tally to six fires involving dishwashers in the last five months.
Station Commander Dave Allen said: “Like a car, electrical appliances need to be regularly checked so any possible defects can be spotted early, such as black burning marks around the plug, loose cables or any snags in the casing exposing wires. If you see anything like this you should stop using your dishwasher and get it checked out.
“We also advise not using dishwashers when you are sleeping or if you leave the house as any fire will take longer to discover and damage will be greater. We also advise this for washing machines and tumble dryers.”
Dave added: “It is also a good reminder for people to check their smoke alarms are working by pressing the test button. Smoke alarms won’t prevent a fire from happening but if you have one they will give you an early warning, enabling you to get out safely, close the doors and hopefully minimise the damage. If you don’t have any smoke alarms, it is important you get one fitted on each level of your home.”
Further safety advice can be found at http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/kitchen-fire-safety-617.aspx.
The first incident was at 7.16pm yesterday evening (Monday, February 22) in St Andrews Way, Impington, Cambridge. Firefighters used one hose reel to extinguish the fire and used positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke.
The second was at 11.18pm in Grantchester Meadows, Cambridge. The dishwasher had caught fire but it was out by the time crews arrived. Firefighters made the dishwasher safe.