Home   News   Article

Kentford teenager thanks the paramedics who saved his life

A teenager, who was inches from death after a freak accident in the steel factory where he was working in Kentford, has thanked the ambulance crews who saved his life.

Eighteen-year-old apprentice fabricator Harry Sage had gone into work in August last year on his day off to help get a project finished when the accident happened, causing injuries were some of the worst the ambulance team had seen.

Harry had got into a forklift to move a palette across the factory when he collided with an 18 metre-long two-and-a-half tonne steel beam which was being moved across the factory. The edge of the metal beam protruded through the cab of the forklift, striking Harry across the face and mouth, breaking his jaw. As he ducked out of the cab, the beam knocked his hard hat off, cutting him along his scalp from the top of his forehead to the base of his neck, an injury which need 46 staples.

Harry with the crews of the ambulance and air ambulance, who saved his life.
Harry with the crews of the ambulance and air ambulance, who saved his life.

An ambulance crew and the air ambulance was quickly on the scene and Harry, who wasn’t able to talk because of his injuries, was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital by road. Desperate to communicate with the medical teams, Harry wrote on a piece of paper Die? Dr Neil Berry was able to assure him: “No, not today. You’re going to need surgery butyou’re not going to die.”

Harry, from Sudbury, was in Addenbrooke’s Hospital for 12 days. He needed multiple operations to repair the damage to his jaw, mouth, palate and lips and he needed a tracheostomy to help him breath due to the swelling in his mouth and throat.

Harry recovering from his injuries in hospital.
Harry recovering from his injuries in hospital.

“I know my accident was quite a significant one for the crews involved so it means a lot for me to be able to show them how I am now,” said Harry.

”The EAAA Aftercare team have been incredible and arranged getting the ambulance and air ambulance teams, who came out to me, together so that I could say thank you in person. That means more than I could ever say.”

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More