Jury clears man of ‘prisoner’ charge

editorial image

A Newmarket man has been convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

William Mackenzie, of Park Lane, was also found guilty by a jury at Ipswich Crown Court of damaging her mobile phone.

But the 20 year old was found not guilty of false imprisonment after he had strongly denied refusing to allow his victim to leave his bedsit in the town.

During his trial, the court heard prosecution claims that Mackenzie had slammed a window shut on the hands of his 18-year-old Donna Seymour as she tried to climb out.

Miss Seymour, who had until a month before the incident been in a relationship for two years with Mackenzie, said that he had bombarded her with up to 20 text 
messages a day after they parted.

The court heard that Mackenzie had become enraged when he found what he believed was evidence that Miss Seymour had been exchanging text messages with another man.

After going to Mackenzie’s bedsit in the early hours of August 26 last year he had refused to let her leave, smashed her mobile phone and assaulted her as well as cutting off a piece of her hair and ripping off some of her clothes, said Miss Seymour.

“He asked to use my phone and I wouldn’t let him so he got really aggressive. He wanted to read the messages,” she said.

Giving evidence, Mackenzie claimed that it had been Miss Seymour who had been acting aggressively and had struck him in the face.

Mackenzie claimed that injuries sustained by Miss Seymour resulted from her accidentally being caught in the door to the bedsit as he tried to close it and from 
his closing a first floor window to save her from jumping out.

He alleged that Miss Seymour had been drinking. “She was sitting at the window which was wide open and threatened to jump out. She was doing this to try to get a reaction from me,” he said.

He said he was “shocked” and had to restrain her by holding her arms when she became violent towards 

He said that at no point had he stopped Miss Seymour from leaving the property and had asked her to leave because of her behaviour.

After the jury returned the verdicts, Judge Rupert Overbury told Mackenzie that he would be remanded in custody until he was sentenced on a date yet to be set.