GCSE Results 2019: Pupils in Newmarket, Mildenhall and Soham get their grades
The wait is over and students are discovering if they have made the grade today as they collect their GCSE results.
Pupils across the area opened their results this morning, hoping to secure the benchmark of grade 4 or above, which is considered a 'standard pass' in all subjects.
Almost 60 per cent of GCSE students at Mildenhall College Academy got a grade 4 or above in English and Maths.
In 2017 a new grading system was introduced, following a numerical format rather than letters, and the system has been rolled out to more subjects this year.
- Grade 9, 8, and 7 are broadly equivalent to an A* or A.
- Grades 6, 5, and 4 are equivalent to B and C grades.
- Grade 4 is broadly equivalent to a C grade.
- A 3 would be broadly similar to a D grade.
- Grade 2 and 1 are grades E, F and G.
The new grades were introduced in England as a measure to make the qualifications tougher. By 2020 all GCSE's will be graded from 9-1.
It was part of a new curriculum which was introduced by former education secretary Michael Gove.
For full reporting and pictures, see Thursday's Newmarket Journal.