Ely's new bypass set to open by end of October
Ely's new bypass is set to open at the end of the month.
The £49 million road, which has been under construction since March 2017, will connect Angel Drove to Stuntney Causeway once opened to vehicles on October 31.
Contractors, who asked for an extra £13 million to finish the work in April, are currently completing road surfacing works, final touches to the safety barrier, and painting road markings.
With the opening of the new route drivers will be diverted away from the Stuntney Road bridge. Network Rail said the accident-prone low-bridge had been hit, on average, once a month since 2009 causing hours of delays for commuters and costing thousands to repair.
When the bypass is opened work will begin on the existing underpass and the level crossing will be closed. Once construction is complete, the underpass will become a single carriage way which will be operated by traffic lights.
Cllr Ian Bates, chairman of Cambridgeshire County Council's economy and environment committee, said: "This is well deserved news for many residents in the area.
"Our contractor has been working hard to get the new road open as soon as possible and it is great news it will be open to traffic in just a few weeks.
"Whilst work to the walkway will continue, we didn't want to delay opening the new bypass as the work will not impact on the new road."
More by this authorDan Barker