Scheme to fence off school playing field

Latest breaking news from the Newmarket Journal, newmarketjournal.co.uk, @nktjournall on Twitter
Latest breaking news from the Newmarket Journal, newmarketjournal.co.uk, @nktjournall on Twitter
0
Have your say

Newmarket Academy is to go ahead with a controversial plan to fence off its playing field.

Nick Froy, head of the Exning Road school, confirmed this week that funding for the project had been agreed by the Department of Education, which viewed the work as a priority.

Back in the summer, Ofsted inspector Ian Midwood said securing the playing field was a matter of student safety and should be “addressed urgently.”

“Although students are suitably supervised by staff, it is not unusual , while they learn sports on the field, to see members of the public using the same space to walk dogs without leads ,” he said.

Mr Froy has arranged an open meeting, which will be held at the academy later this month , to talk to residents about the fencing plan.

“I would like to stress that this scheme is limited to securing the site and does not include any alterations to the use of the site or field as had been proposed in previous plans,” he said,

And he added: “There are no plans whatsoever to do anything other than ensure that we can safeguard our students. In our current proposals we plan to leave access points for residents to access and cross the field outside of school hours.”

The meeting will be on Monday, November 17, at 6pm and plans for the fence scheme will be on display at the academy for residents to comment on until Tuesday November 25.

“We have to act because at the moment we are not providing a sufficiently safe environment for children to learn,” said Mr Froy.