Two men have been fined for organising and carrying out illegal gas work as part of a construction job at a house in Exning.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Anthony Hylins, of Railway Close in Burwell organised the installation of a gas boiler between January and May of 2014 after he had been contracted by the propery’s owners to build an extension. He sub-contracted the job to Mark Smith of Exeter Road in Newmarket, who was not Gas Safe registered.
Magistrates at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court heard on Thursday that Hylins knew Smith was not registered, but thought he be accompanied by a registered engineer, who would oversee and sign-off on the work, a practice that is banned by Gas Safe.
A subsequent inspection found serious safety flaws with Smith’s boiler installation. There had been a significant gas leak, the cover of the boiler had not been fitted properly and the flue had not been sealed correctly.
Hylins was fined £2000 and ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £645.90 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 4 of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
Smith was fined £1000, ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge as well as £645.90 in costs after admitting a breach of Section 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations 1998.
After the case, HSE Inspector Ivan Brooke said: “Householders should always ask for evidence of Gas Safe registration and/or check the Gas Safe Register online before allowing work on gas appliances. Gas work by people not competent to do so can expose people to the risk of fire/explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning”