Man, 73, admits assaulting teen

Latest crime and court news from the Newmarket Journal, newmarketjournal.co.uk, @nktjournal on Twitter
Latest crime and court news from the Newmarket Journal, newmarketjournal.co.uk, @nktjournal on Twitter
0
Have your say

A Barton Mills pensioner who admitted indecently assaulting a teenage girl 35 years ago could face a jail term.

In addition to the offence he admitted 73-year-old Reginald Pike also faced a rape charge and three charges of gross indecency. However, after his guilty plea to the indecent assault the other charges were left on the court file.

Pike, of Wiggin Close, was accused of committing the offences in 1979 when the victim was around 16. He had been facing a trial expected to last up to three days but, in a surprise move at Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday following a letter written to him by the victim saying she wanted to “forgive and forget”, he pleaded guilty to one offence.

Mitigating Jo Eley, said: “The real possibility is he will receive an immediate custodial sentence and I would like the court to consider all sentencing options.”

However, Judge Christopher Ball who adjourned sentencing until March 5, refused to request a probation report.

“I don’t think this is a case where probation would make any difference,” he said.

Prosecutor Greg Perrins, said “It’s a somewhat unusual case. The victim has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act but can still give her view.”

He added: “She wrote to him last year saying ‘I want to forgive and forget,’ and the prosecution carried out an investigation about her.

“It’s very unlikely she could give evidence.”