A Newmarket woman may not have intended to kill herself when she took an overdose of codeine tablets, an inquest has been told.
The body of bar worker Mandy Fuller, 50, was found at her flat in Lester Piggott Way in April.
Despite the efforts of the friend who discovered her and a paramedic she could not be revived, an inquest at Bury St Edmunds heard on Tuesday.
Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean said evidence of alcohol consumption was found in the same room and no note had been left by Mrs Fuller who had confided to a neighbour that she was an alcoholic.
Friend, and former tenant, Jason McMullen said in a statement that he had called at Mrs Fuller’s flat on the evening of her death and thought that she was sleeping after drinking, but when he had returned later he said she looked “totally different.”
Mr McMullen called for an ambulance and was given directions by an operator how to attempt to try to resuscitate Mrs Fuller using CPR. He tried but without success.
Neighbour, Anne Green, said in a statement, that Mrs Fuller had told her that she was an alcoholic and said she had noticed that she often smelled of alcohol.
Dr Dean said medical reports indicated that Mrs Fuller had been admitted to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds on a number of occasions in the past following what he called “impulsive overdoses” but she had always recovered and been allowed home.
A post mortem examination conducted by consultant pathologist Dr Sheila Purdy showed that death was due to drug overdose with Mrs Fuller having more than double the fatal level of codeine in her blood.
Recording an open verdict, Dr Dean said: “What we cannot know on this occasion was whether this was an overdose intended to take her own life or an impulsive act that sadly had the outcome of her death.”