The partner of a woman who died on Saturday when a blaze broke out in their Burwell home said she will “always be missed”.
Mother-of-one Miranda Drew, 35, died after her Hawthorn Way bungalow was gutted by a fire that started at 9.20am.
Six fire crews battled for more than four hours to extinguish the flames, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Miranda’s partner, Graham Challis, and their three-year-old daughter, Chantelle, were not at home when the fire broke out.
Mr Challis, 50, who has been staying in a hotel since the incident, said: “We are all still in shock. All I have got now is my little girl. She keeps asking about her mum. How do you tell a little girl that she’s not going to see her mum again?”
Miranda, who had multiple sclerosis and was a member of the Newmarket and District branch of the MS Society, always “made the best of her situation”.
Mr Challis, who was her full-time carer, said: “We used to have a good laugh every day. She couldn’t get very far and had to rely on someone to get her into her wheelchair. We always used to make the best of a bad situation.
“She will always be missed by me, Chantelle and the rest of her family.”
Penelope McCalmont, chairman of the MS Society’s Newmarket and District branch, said: “We are terribly shocked by Miranda’s death and she will be immensely missed by the branch.
“She was always bright and full of smiles. She used to attend our socials and help out with fundraising in whatever capacity she could. She never let her MS get her down.”
Villagers in Burwell have rallied round the family, including staff at The Fox pub and Tina’s wool shop, who will be accepting donations to help Mr Challis and Chantelle, who lost most of their clothes and belongings in the fire.
Mr Challis said: “I have been told people are turning up with clothes and furniture to help us. No one could have done more and a really big thank you to everyone that has helped.”
A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the fire was accidental and had most likely been caused by “smoking materials”.