Fire service issues chip pan warning
A fire service is warning of the dangers of using chip pans after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a Kirtling home on Wednesday.
Firefighters arrived in The Street at about 7.15pm to find the building heavily smoke-logged. Crews worked to extinguish the flames and ventilate the building.
All the occupants were safely out of the home when the crews arrived. Firefighters gave first aid at the scene and one man was treated for smoke inhalation.
A spokesman said: “Chip pans can be extremely dangerous and are the cause of the largest number of fire-related injuries in the home.
“Oil itself is a volatile substance when heated and it only takes seconds for an accident to occur, no matter how careful and vigilant you are.”
He advised “not to panic, never throw water on the fire, do not move the pan and turn the heat off, if it is safe to do so, before dialling 999.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Newmarket
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west