An inquiry into a council’s decision not to allow more than 130 homes to be built on a Kentford stud, will be held next month.
The planning appeal against Forest Heath District Council’s to refuse the application for Meddler Stud, will be heard in Mildenhall on Tuesday September 17.
More than 30 objections were lodged against the proposal from village residents, parish councils, and groups associated with the horse racing industry.
During preliminary consultations held last year, Kentford parish councillors raised concerns about the amount of traffic that would be generated by the proposed development.
Parish clerk, Christine Mason, said: “The volume of traffic already using Bury Road is already a major concern and the additional traffic that would be generated by this development could only make things worse.
“We have already been told categorically by Suffolk County Council that although it sympathises with the problem, there is nothing that can be done to ease it.”
Residents have also objected to the plan citing concerns about traffic, flooding risks and lack of village amenities to support such a large development.
One objector claimed Kentford was “fast transforming into a commuter settlement” and questioned the need for more new homes considering more than 60 per cent of 64 private homes already being built close to the Meddler site were either not built, built but not finished, or unoccupied.
The applicants, Ann Gurney, Meddler Properties Ltd and Agora Developments Ltd, who want to convert the 7.16 hectare site into one, two, three and four bedroom properties including 39 affordable homes, have claimed the site is unsuitable for continued use as a stud or racehorse training facility, an argument district council planners have rejected.